Andi Mack is a Disney Channel Original Series developed by Terri Minsky who is also known for another Disney Channel show, Lizzie McGuire. The series revolves around a teenage girl, Andi Mack, whose world turns upside down when her cool older sister Bex reveals that she's actually Andi's mother. It stars Peyton Elizabeth Lee, Joshua Rush, Sofia Wylie, Asher Angel with Lilan Bowden, and Lauren Tom.
The show premiered on April 7, 2017 but the first 2 episodes were made available to stream on the WatchDisneyChannel apps a month before the TV premiere.
On October 25, 2017, TVLine revealed that in season two, Cyrus will begin to realize that he has feelings for Jonah, making him Disney Channel's first gay main character.
On February 19, 2018, Disney Channel renewed Andi Mack for a third season, with filming set to begin soon. The season would premiere later in 2018. Disney also announced that the second part of season 2 would return in June 2018.
"Andi Mack" is a contemporary, coming-of-age story about a girl who's trying to determine where she fits in and the many amazing ways she can live her life. When her free-spirited older sister Bex returns home with a revelation that changes everything, it sends Andi on an uncharted course of self-discovery.
— Disney Channel PR, IMDb 
This is the first Disney Channel show to deal with teenage pregnancy in a way, as the title character was born as a result of teen pregnancy.
- Main article: Tomorrow Starts Today
The theme song for Andi Mack is "Tomorrow Starts Today" and it is performed by actress and singer, Sabrina Carpenter.
List of Episodes
- Main article: Episode Guide
- Peyton Elizabeth Lee as Andi Mack
- Joshua Rush as Cyrus Goodman
- Sofia Wylie as Buffy Driscoll
- Asher Angel as Jonah Beck
- Lilan Bowden as Bex Mack
- Lauren Tom as Celia Mack
- Stoney Westmoreland as Ham
- Emily Skinner as Amber
- Trent Garrett as Bowie Quinn
- Garren Stitt as Marty
- Chelsea T. Zhang as Brittany
- Molly Jackson as Iris
- Luke Mullen as TJ Kippen
Andi Mack stands out among Disney Channel shows for its courage to address relevant social issues that many families face in today's society. These include:
- Teen Pregnancy - The title character, Andi Mack was born as a result teenage pregnancy. Andi grew up thinking that her teen mom, Bex was her older sister.
- LGBTQ - One of the main characters, Cyrus Goodman has been coming to terms that he is gay and has already come out to his best friend.
- Diversity - The lead character is an Asian-American girl. Her best friends (and also main characters) are an African-American girl (Buffy) and a Jewish gay boy, Cyrus.
- Family Conflicts - Andi's mother (Bex) and grandmother (CeCe) have not been in good terms for a long time. Cyrus' parents are divorced. Amber's parents are constantly fighting.
- Feminism - Buffy is a strong feminist who doesn't let gender differences stop her from achieving what she wants. She even joins the boys' basketball team.
- Racial Issues - Through Buffy, the show addresses a common racial discrimination problem where African American girls are forced to change their hairstyle.
- Military Families - The show addresses how tough it is for children of deployed soldiers. Buffy's mom is a deployed soldier. Buffy has to live most of her life without her mom, and worried whether her mom will return home safely.
- Learning Disabilities - One of the show's recurring characters potentially has a learning disability called dyscalculia which makes it difficult to understand basic math.
- Dress Codes - When the principal claims that Andi's outfit is distracting boys, Bex, Andi, Buffy and Cyrus lead a demonstration to protest the unreasonable school dress codes.
- Social Gap - Through a social experiment at school, the show addresses the issue of social economic gap and privilege. It shows that everyone is equal despite some being privileged in life.
- Andi Mack is the first Disney Channel show to involve teen pregnancy, and the first show to feature a main gay character.
- Unlike most Disney Channel original shows, Andi Mack does not use a laugh-track. The other current one is Stuck in the Middle.
- Andi Mack is also one of the few Disney shows not produced by It's a Laugh Productions.
- Andi Mack is filmed in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- It setting is the town of Shadyside in the fictional US State of Midwest.
- Andi Mack is the first show to focus on a Chinese family.
- It's possible since Amber was the main antagonist who mostly antagonized Andi in season 1, TJ is likely to be the antagonist of season 2 who mostly antagonizes Buffy.